BVLS Cancellation and Delay FAQs:
How is the decision made to cancel or delay school?
The determination as to whether school is delayed or closed begins at roughly 4:30am. The Director of Classified Services and the Superintendent assess the conditions by driving various district areas. After evaluating the weather and road safety, they talk to discuss the observed conditions along with reports from other area schools and any law enforcement officials they have contacted. The superintendent reviews all of this information and generally makes the decision to close or delay no later than 5:30 a.m. Below are some of the major factors that are considered regarding school closure:
- When the temperature is below zero or the wind chill is below negative ten (-10) degrees
- When there is ice on the ground
- When visibility is less than 50 feet
- If there is ice or deep snow on streets or sidewalks
A two-hour delay is scheduled only if the district believes that conditions may clear up enough to ultimately have school. To ensure the conditions have improved sufficiently to have school, the district employees begin a second assessment and discuss their findings. Parents should continue to monitor their phones or TV and radio stations in case conditions do not sufficiently improve and warrant closing school for the day.
The Buckeye Valley Local School District covers 206 square miles of ground. Please be aware that, at times, inclement weather conditions that appear in one portion of the district may not be as severe in another, but may warrant a delay or closing of school for overall safety reasons.
How will parents/families be notified about a cancellation, delay or early release of school?
When school is delayed or canceled, the district uses a variety of communication methods to inform students, parents and staff members as quickly as possible. A phone message is sent out using the Buckeye Valley Alert Solutions system. The district also immediately notifies local radio and television stations and places a message on the district’s website as well as the district Twitter feed (@BV_Barons).
How do school cancellation or delays effect building-level events?
- If school is canceled, all elementary and middle school events will also be canceled.
- If school is canceled, all non-athletic high school events will also be canceled.
- A decision will be made by 1:00 p.m. regarding cancellation of high school athletic contests.
- If school is delayed, morning clubs and activities (such as Student Council and NHS) will be canceled.